Monday, October 10, 2011
Finally, A New Creation
We started by making the paper covers for two of the books. We used Arches Text Wove paper, walnut ink, Yarka watercolors, salt, alcohol, powdered metallics, and plastic wrap.
This was one paper I didn't use yet, but you get the idea. Then we used a frame to pick out the "sweet spots" for the front and back covers.
We folded Mohawk Superfine paper, 70 lb. for the text block, and made a Secret Belgian Binding book, rediscovered by Hedi Kyle.
You can see from this close-up, the secret is in weaving the binding thread around a free-floating spine, linking through the text block stitching.
For the next book, after applying gesso, we used molding paste or modeling paste to cover the book board, and then textured it with stamps or tools. When dry, we painted it with acrylic paint. It is a case binding, because the covers are made separately from the book, and then the text block is glued in. The second photo shows the text block with "crash" or mull attached for gluing.
When I recover, I plan on another attempt at each book, just to see if I can do it without the expertise of the instructor. The good news is, Judy is so fabulous that each detail was printed out in clear language with drawn examples, so I can take it a step at a time.
A great time was had by all, thanks to Judy.