Sunday, November 15, 2009

Gabrielle Fox comes to town





I live in a wonderful place known as the "Crossroads of the West", where incredible international artists visit. This weekend was a book artist who has written a definitive guide for making books, but has a sub-specialty of miniature leather bindings. So, here is my meager attempt to create a miniature leather book. It's hard to tell the size of this, but it's 2 inches by 3 inches....teeny. The leather was pared to paper thinness, which took at least half of the workshop time. The book itself is not what I'm most proud of, but I leaped over a big hurdle and actually CUT UP AND USED my own hand-marbled paper for the end papers. I have hoarded these little marbled gems, afraid to use them up. What made me courageous to try it? The word miniature. I guess that qualifies as a baby step, one necessary to break out of a previous plateau that keeps one stuck. Fear is always a block to creativity. So, in a tiny way, I feel like I've taken one tiny step and one giant leap. Yea!

5 comments:

Sarah E. said...

The marbled paper looks like it was made to be in a book. It is beautiful!

Kass said...

Oh, so beautiful! What will you use this book for? Dare you write in it?

baodad said...

What a huge step! Way to go!

lori vliegen said...

congrats on being able to attend another fabulous workshop (perhaps i need to move into your neck of the woods!!)! i think that your book is a beauty......and i can see why you were hesitant to use those marbled papers.....they are gorgeous, and SO perfect for this book!! :))

Anonymous said...

lucky you to have been able to take a class with her - I'm jealous. Your marbled paper is fabulous!