Saturday, November 21, 2009

No visual images, just inspiring words

Being a lifelong reader, I have always loved beautiful language, so I collect quotes, passages and poems.
Here is food for thought.
May we all enjoy the gift of words.
Happy Thanksgiving!

An object made with love and care can be a thing of beauty, a whole, even when it is imperfect; by contrast, another one, although flawless, can leave us untouched and strike no sympathetic chord.

Is it not substance and meaning that we are longing for in our daily lives? The most wonderful result of our involvement in craft can be this: to stretch the boundaries of the ordinary and add a new colorful dimension to being alive.

True amateurism should not be looked down upon. In times like ours any manifestation of liveliness must be cherished.
all 3 quotes by Franz Zeier, in Books, Boxes and Portfolios

When we make things with our hands we put into them energy which comes from our innermost self. When we see and feel objects which were made by craftsmen long dead I believe we can still sense their energy lying beneath each brush-stroke or sweep of the pen, and we can respond to this energy as much as to the object's surface beauty or ingenuity of design. When we ourselves write we not only communicate information by the choice and sequence of the words; we also reveal something of our inner spirit with every tremor of the hand.
So those marks which remain to us from the very beginnings of man's experiments with the alphabet not only provide us with physical evidence of his ingenuity and skill, but like the handwriting of a friend they are an intimate link with his heart and mind.
Donald Jackson, The Story of Writing

I've been a hard worker all my life, but "most all my work has been the kind that perishes with the usin'," as the Bible says. That's the discouragin' thing about a woman's work...if a woman was to see all the dishes that she had to wash before she died, piled up before her in one pile, she'd lie down and die right then and there. I've always had the name o' bein' a good housekeeper, but when I'm dead and gone there ain't anybody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept, and the tables I've scrubbed, and the old clothes I've patched, and the stockin's I've darned....But when one of my grandchildren or great-grandchildren sees one o' these quilts, they'll think about Mama [or Grams], and wherever I am then, I'll know I ain't forgotten.
Mirra Bank, in Anonymous Was a Woman

1 comment:

Kass said...

Wonderful quotes - which conjure many images. You will leave many beautiful things behind which will link you to your children and grandchildren. Might I just add that your works of art are much prettier in person! That was a great breakfast and safari into the Summit Park wilds.