Friday, March 25, 2011

New Book, New Favorite

I'm lovin' my renewed interest in bookbinding.   It just so happens I know a few experts, whose brains I can pick.  So far, I haven't been able to obtain the skill of perfection, so I'm practicing my zen art of perfectly imperfect, perfectly human.   It's a lifelong practice.   Maybe I've practiced imperfection so long, I'm perfect at it?  O.K. enough and moving on.
  This one is called a naked book.  I'm not sure why.    The text block is sewn with the French Link Stitch, then the paste down is tipped on, and a "crash", or "mull" is added.   
  The binder's board is glued to a strip of book cloth (which will be the spine), then glazed with gesso.  With a palette knife, spread modeling paste (not molding paste), and texture it with scratches, stamps, texturing tools, plastic canvas, or whatever...fingernails?  toothpicks?   Let it dry for a long time.  Lightly sand, just to take down the rough edges.  Lightly glaze with layers of acrylic, starting from light, to dark, using a sponge.  Don't add too much liquid, or the modeling paste starts to soak it up.  Then connect text block to cover using PVA glue.  Shine it up with some Rub N Buff.   If you don't understand these instructions, sign up for a local bookbinding class.  You will love it.


5 comments:

lori vliegen said...

it looks like you've been bitten by the book-bug.....and the results are gorgeous!! bravo, girl!!! xox

Tony and Ann said...

That is WAY cool my friend!!

Mary Anne said...

Cool! This is the best yet!

nano*ink said...

The reason that they call it a "naked" book is that there is no paper, leather or book cloth on the cover boards. Therefore, the boards are quite naked until you did your beautiful work. Chris McAfee was one that started that first instructed us in the Naked Book

Kass said...

Love this! Great work.