Friday, August 14, 2009

Zentangles for fun

(There are still so many things to learn!! I finally got the scanner hooked up and these images are my first to test out for a blog. Each zentangle above is about 3 inches square. )

So, next month I'm going to Whitinsville, Massachusetts to do the Zentangle workshop. You might be wondering why anyone would need a workshop to learn to doodle. It's a Zentangle Teacher Certification program, but the main reason I'm going is because I needed a mini retreat. I have a friend in Boston I hope to see (Trish, are you reading this?), one of my online teachers (Sue Bleiweiss) is there, and I'd love to meet her and see her work at the Danforth Museum. Also, my very favorite book arts teacher (Barbara Mauriello) is doing a weekend workshop at the Garage Annex School, so I have multiple reasons to go.
Interestingly enough, I had decided to post my zentangles, when I looked at Terri Stegmiller's blog, and she had put one up which included calligraphy, and that addition to the idea pool is terrific. Terri and Sue introduced me to another online workshop called Calligra-Fun, taught by Martha Lever. We worked with Zig Brushable markers and played with easy, free letters.
Here is one of my practice pages.
Most people put perfection on their blogs, but I'm just learning, and I need to document the progress, so I'm putting practice pages here.
The zentangles at the top are my first three attempts at a new meditation form. My intent in doing them was to try each suggested doodle in the very sparse instruction manual (also 3" square). You'll notice Terri's work is much more professional, and she's incorporated many of her own designs. The lettering she has added is from the brushable workshop. You'll notice she's a professional artist.
One of the quotes I practiced is, "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE GREAT TO START, BUT YOU HAVE TO START TO BE GREAT." So, I'm starting my art journey. I hope you'll come along with me. It's much more fun with friends.
xoxoxo

2 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wow, your zentangles are wonderful. I'd say you look like a pro with those! Your Calligra-fun lettering is great too.

Martha Lever said...

Look at those beautiful Zentangles!!! Your Calligrafun letters look great too!!! Yes, I am pretty speedy with creating art but most of my art is fairly speedy anyway. Anything that takes longer than 30 minutes usually makes me antsy!